We appreciate First Presbyterian Church, Fort Smith; Kirk in the Pines in Hot Springs Village and Trinity Presbyterian Church in Little Rock for providing a week at Ferncliff Camp and Conference Center for 15 teenagers, age 14 to 17, in foster care who live at our children’s home. Thank you also to board member Doris Simmons who provided stipends for clothes and other items our children needed while at camp.
During their week at camp, kids took part in daily camp activities that included:
- Completing a low ropes course
- Touring the Eco Center
- Participating in a nature study
- Harvesting vegetables in the garden
- Baking cookies in a solar oven and
- Spending time at the pool, pond and creek
- Learning archery and bouldering
- Playing field games
- Writing and performing for skit night
- Packing foodstuffs for the Stop Hunger Now program.
- Attending Vespers Services each evening.
The boys and girls enjoyed all the water-related activities, especially since it exceeded 100 degrees several days that week. By Friday, they were ready for a few days of rest!
Kaitlyn, 17, from Sebastian County, lives at Pettus Home and has been in residential care at Vera Lloyd for several years. She works part-time at Vera Lloyd and is preparing for her senior year of high school. She enjoyed being at Ferncliff because it helped her build stronger bonds with other boys and girls at Ferncliff and meet teenagers from other areas of the state.
Thank you to our churches, board members and Ferncliff staff for changing lives through this special week.